Friday, October 15, 2010

Somewhere Inside; One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home



Somewhere Inside; One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home by Laura Ling & Lisa Ling
I have been a huge fan of Lisa Ling ever since she was on The View. In fact when she left I pretty much stopped watching it. I liked how she would bring stories to our attention that I never knew were going on. When the story of how her sister Laura Ling and her colleague, Euna Lee had been captured and were being held prisoner in North Korea broke, I was surprised to learn that she had a sister in the same field as she. I was very concerned for Laura and Euna Lee and prayed for them. The two were working on a documentary about North Korean defectors who had fled the terrible conditions in their country only to end up in some terrible situations in China. While near the China- North Korean border the girls were captured by North Korean soldiers and dragged into North Korea where they were imprisoned. The book is told alternately through both Laura's eyes and Lisa's eyes. Laura tells of her ordeal in prison and being tried in North Korea. She was determined to survive and find a way out of what seemed to be a no-win situation. Lisa tells of what it was like waiting and wondering and how she diligently worked to find a way to bring her sister home. I don't think two sister's could be any closer to each other. You will want to hug your sister tightly after reading this book.

I also have Euna Lee's book The World Is Bigger Now and am looking forward to reading it as Laura and Euna Lee were separated for most of their imprisonment. I am wondering how Euna Lee was treated and what her experience was like.

I borrowed this book from my local public library. I would give it 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in! Going to look for this one at my library. Wish me luck.

    Another great review and what an inspirational story of 2 sisters who came through safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds good. Thanks for a great review, Beth. I don't think I would have read this one if not hearing about it from you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!