Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Love Goddess' Cooking School



The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate

Summary from Goodreads

Holly Maguire's grandmother was the Love Goddess of Blue Crab Island, Maine–a Milanese fortune teller who could predict the right man for you, and whose Italian cooking was rumored to save marriages. Holly has been waiting years for her unlikely fortune: her true love will like sa cordula, an unappetizing old-world delicacy. But Holly can't make a decent marinara sauce, let alone sa cordula. Maybe that's why the man she hopes to marry breaks her heart. So when Holly inherits Camilla's Cucinotta, she's determined to forget about fortunes and love and become an Italian cooking teacher worthy of her grandmother's legacy.

But Holly's four students are seeking much more than how to make Camilla's chicken alla Milanese. Simon, a single father, hopes to cook his way back into his daughter's heart. Juliet, Holly's childhood friend, hides a painful secret. Tamara, a serial dater, can't find the love she longs for. And twelve-year-old Mia thinks learning to cook will stop her dad from marrying his phony lasagna-queen girlfriend.

As the class gathers each week, adding Camilla's essential ingredients of wishes and memories into every pot and pan, unexpected friendships and romances are formed–and tested. Especially when Holly falls hard for Liam . . . and learns a thing or two about finding her own recipe for happiness.

My Thoughts

This was my first taste of reading a book by Melissa Senate. I have to say she has the recipe for a great, feel good story down to a tee! From page one this book had me! The book starts off with Holly making sa cordula otherwise known as lamb intestines to her boyfriend of two years. If he doesn't like it, it means he is not the love of her life according to her grandmother. Of course he hates it and Holly goes home to Maine to be with her grandmother. When her grandmother passes, Holly takes over her business teaching Italian cooking. One problem..Holly can't cook. Holly soon learns that there is more to cooking than following a recipe. She learns more about her grandmother through her grandmother's diaries. Holly's students each have their own story also. I like when secondary characters are given a side storyline. It gives them a life, I think. Makes them a bit more real. I became involved in their stories as well as Holly's. I loved Holly and her grandmother. They had a very special relationship and it was heartwarming to read about. Will Holly be able to keep her grandmother's business going? Will she ever find a man who likes sa cordula? Melissa Senate even included some recipes from the class in the back of the book which I hope to soon try out. If you read this book you will want to try them out too. I was wishing I could reach into the book during the cooking classes and sample the recipes myself except of course for the sa cordula. This book is one that will leave you feeling good and fulfilled at the end. I absolutely adored this book! If you like a warm, charming story than this is the book for you. It is as comforting as the food that was made in the book.

I give this book 5 stars


I received this arc for my honest review from Inkwell Management. Thank you Rose Marie!

4 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this; I do love the food-as-love books (Like Water for Chocolate, Crescent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cover is great and the book sounds like a good read. i have actually made recipes that i found in novels--and most were good. :)

    glad you enjoyed this book and maybe you can do a 'weekend cooking challenge' (hosted by beth fish reads) with one of the recipes!

    --nat @book, line, and sinker

    ps. could you please open your comments to NAME/URL? it's difficult to leave a comment on your site unless I use google, which i don't love. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to get my hands on this book! I just love novels that involve cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!