Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dewey's Nine Lives



Dewey's Nine Lives by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

Book Summary from Penguin
The cat that captured America's hearts returns, to share more of his special brand of magic.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World was a blockbuster bestseller and a publishing phenomenon. It has sold nearly a million copies, spawned three children's books, and will be the basis for an upcoming movie. No doubt about it, Dewey has created a community. Dewey touched readers everywhere, who realized that no matter how difficult their lives might seem, or how ordinary their talents, they can-and should-make a positive difference to those around them. Now, Dewey is back, with even more heartwarming moments and life lessons to share.

Dewey's Nine Lives offers nine funny, inspiring, and heartwarming stories about cats--all told from the perspective of "Dewey's Mom," librarian Vicki Myron. The amazing felines in this book include Dewey, of course, whose further never-before-told adventures are shared, and several others who Vicki found out about when their owners reached out to her. Vicki learned, through extensive interviews and story sharing, what made these cats special, and how they fit into Dewey's community of perseverance and love. From a divorced mother in Alaska who saved a drowning kitten on Christmas Eve to a troubled Vietnam veteran whose heart was opened by his long relationship with a rescued cat, these Dewey-style stories will inspire readers to laugh, cry, care, and, most importantly, believe in the magic of animals to touch individual lives.

My Thoughts

I received this book and was a bit afraid to read it. I'm always afraid these types of books will be too sad. While there were a few sad parts, I found the stories to be very heartwarming. The cats in these stories all filled a void and played an important role in someone's life just as Dewey did. Each story is unique and touching. My favorite story was about a cat who rode a motorcycle, truly a remarkable cat! Also there a couple of new Dewey stories included in the book. If you love cats or pets, I think you will be touched and love each story as much as I did. It was so moving that I read the whole book in one sitting. Definitely a five star read!

I received this book for my honest review from Penguin

3 comments:

  1. I don't really like cats, so I don't know if I would like this book. I am actually allergic to them, so that's probably why I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a self professed cat lover and I am reading this book right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!