Friday, April 8, 2011

Sing You Home



Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Summary from Goodreads

One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. Like her House Rules and several other previous Jodi Picoult novels, Sing You Home grapples with hot button issues. The novel also includes a CD of songs, each matched with a chapter in the book. Perfect for book clubs.

My Thoughts

I wasn't so sure when I started this book it would be one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books. It didn't take too long for the story to grab me. The subject is controversial as most of Jodi's books are but that is what makes her a unique author. The story is told by different point of views, Max's, Vanessa's, and Zoe's. It was interesting to see where each character was coming from and where their head was. Sing You Home deals with gay marriage, evangelical beliefs, IVF, and discrimination. Jodi has done a fabulous job creating characters and a case that will have you questioning how you feel about these controversial subjects. Does an embryo have rights? Who has rights to an embryo after a divorce? What should be considered when deciding who has custody rights of an embryo? What makes a person to be a better candidate for parenthood? There are so many questions that come up in the book. I found the court case interesting but also found Zoe's music therapy very intriguing. I had never heard of music therapy before but it does make sense. I know the music I listen to depends on the mood I am in at the time. Music is present in almost all of the important events in one's life so why not in therapy. Enclosed is a cd of songs written to correspond with each chapter. While the music was not exactly my taste, it was a very different idea that fit very nicely with the story. A very nice touch. I loved Jodi's latest release and look forward to reading more from her in the future. This book would be great for book groups as there is so much to discuss.

I received this ARC from Atria Books for my honest review. Thank you to Atria Books.

3 comments:

  1. glad u ended up liking this one. I enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it too...as I did. I was nervous at first, because I'd heard some so-so reviews. My only wish is that she had showed some more liberal thinking religious views also. but I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book; I think it would be a wonderful book for book groups (Think of all of the discussions it would engender!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!