Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Winters in Bloom by Lisa Tucker


The Winters In Bloom by Lisa Tucker

Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Atria Books (September 13, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416575405
ISBN-13: 978-1416575405

This is the first book I have read by Lisa Tucker but won't be my last. The first part of the book caught my attention and demanded that I read on. Kyra and David Winter experience one of the the worst nightmares a parent can experience, their son, Michael is abducted. We get a glimpse of what they are going through in the beginning and also get a glimpse of Michael and his abductor although the abductor's identity remains a mystery.

The book then goes into the past lives of Kyra and David. We learn how they got to be where they are today and the many people who have been a part of their lives, from Michael's ex-wife to Kyra's estranged sister to their parents. All of the people involved are very interesting characters. They are all very flawed and dysfunctional. This part of the book, while very informative, drove me crazy! It did not move fast enough for me. I wanted to know who had this young boy and why!

It felt like it took forever to get Part 3 of the book where we finally learn who took Michael. Part 3 made up for the all the aggravation I felt reading the previous two parts. The suspense was intense until the end. The story is full of twists and turns that keep the reader guessing until the very end.

If you like a good story about a dysfunctional family that is character driven, you may like this book. The story does bounce around a bit but if you have some patience, the ending is worth the wait.





I received this book for my honest opinion courtesy of Atria Books. This in no way influenced my review.

8 comments:

  1. Like the dysfunctional family bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always game for a good story of family dysfunction. This one sounds good even with the slow section!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book, but dragging out the tension and the mystery too long would drive me crazy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this sounds like a fascinating and sad book! Thanks for the review as now I have to get a copy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such a hard time reading books about child abductions. Glad this one picked up for you toward the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love stories about dysfunctional families. I won this from Amy, but it hasn't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something about your description of this book has me intrigued, perhaps it's the surprise ending. I'll add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first line of your review, makes me want to read this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!