Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznik


The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznik

Reading level: Ages 9 and up
Hardcover: 533 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; First Edition edition (January 30, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0439813786
ISBN-13: 978-0439813785

Summary:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.


My Thoughts

If you haven't read this book, by all means get it and read it! Brian Selznik tells a wonderful story through his writing and through his illustrations, which I must say are remarkable drawings. This author is extremely talented! He brings the words and pictures to life.

Hugo found a place in my heart right from the start. The mother in me wanted to take him in under my wing. Hugo is a brave boy who does what he needs to survive. He is driven to rebuild a automaton that his deceased father was trying to rebuild at the time of his death. I found the idea of the automaton quite fascinating.

Hugo lives in a secret world behind the scenes which adds to the mystery in the book. All of the characters in the book are well developed and to me all had a bit of quirkiness about them.

My thoughts cannot do this book justice. The format is unusual and works well with the storyline. I cannot imagine this story being told any other way. It is not only a great story but a work of art! Trust me, this is a book the whole family will enjoy.

I am looking forward to seeing how the story translates to the big screen! I hope the movie is as wonderful as the book!


I read this book which I purchased for the 2011 Just For Fun Challenge

9 comments:

  1. My daughter read this and we are both looking forward to the movie. I agree that Selznick's writing style and artwork are unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. The book is just magical, and I think appealing to people of any age. And yes, the movie DOES translate so well. YOu will be very pleased with the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review, I was glancing at the artwork in the bookstore yesterday and it was stunning. I really want to read the book and see the movie now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both this and Wonderstruck on my wish list. I am looking forward to both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard great things about his books -- most particularly about Wonderstruck-- and I am anxious to try them. Your enthusiasm for this book is contagious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite books...I read this a couple of years ago. I will be bringing home Wonder Struck to read over the holiday break..can not wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to get hold of this book! I'm going to see the movie Tuesday and can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been hearing good things about the movie so I am glad to hear the book is so good too! What a winning duo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review and the book sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!