Thursday, December 29, 2011

Exposure by Therese Fowler


Exposure by Therese Fowler

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Ballantine Books; First Edition edition (May 3, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0345515536
ISBN-13: 978-0345515537

Summary

In Exposure, Therese Fowler has written her most gripping novel to date—a ripped-from-the-headlines story of ardent young love and a nightmarish legal maelstrom that threatens to destroy two families.

Amelia Wilkes’s strict father does not allow her to date, but that doesn’t stop the talented, winsome high school senior from carrying on a secret romance with her classmate Anthony Winter. Desperately in love, the two envision a life together and plan to tell Amelia’s parents only after she turns eighteen and is legally an adult. Anthony’s mother, Kim, who teaches at their school, knows—and keeps—their secret. But the couple’s passion is exposed sooner than planned: Amelia’s father, Harlan, is shocked and infuriated to find naked pictures of Anthony on his daughter’s computer. Just hours later, Anthony is arrested.

Despite Amelia’s frantic protests, Harlan uses his wealth and influence with local law enforcement and the media to label Anthony a deviant who preyed on his innocent daughter. Spearheaded by a zealous prosecutor anxious to turn the case into a public crusade against “sexting,” the investigation soon takes an even more disturbing and destructive turn.

As events spiral wildly out of control and the scandalous story makes national news, Amelia and Anthony risk everything in a bold and dangerous attempt to clear their names and end the madness once and for all.

A captivating page-turner, Therese Fowler’s Exposure is also a deftly crafted, provocative, and timely novel that serves as a haunting reminder of the consequences of love in the modern age.

My Thoughts

This story is very thought-provoking and fascinating. It takes a look inside the flaws in our legal system and sexting. Both subjects could be a book in themselves. What happens when two young teenagers send each other nude photos of each other? Should they be deemed sexual predators if they are in a relationship? I felt for the characters, Amelia and Anthony. They did some pretty unintelligent things, but then again most teenagers do make mistakes. When Amelia's father finds nude photos of Anthony on his daughters laptop, all hell breaks loose. What he doesn't realize that he is making matters worse for his daughter. Amelia's father is pretty easy to dislike. He is one of those overpowering fathers who doesn't have a clue as to what is going on in his child's life. Amelia's mother seemed pretty spineless to me. Anthony is raised by a single mom who lets things slide at times. She seems a bit too lenient as a parent. The two parents are different as night and day which adds so much to the story. It made me question what type of parent is better..the strict overpowering ones or the ones who are more laid back?

This story will make you think about sexting and the legal system. Should teenagers be subject to prosecution for sending such photos to their friends? Should they be marked for life if they are prosecuted? Where should the legal system draw the line?

Therese Fowler was inspired to write this book when her own son found himself in a similar situation. This is not his story but a fictional story based on his experiences.

I highly recommend this book! You won't be able to put it down!


I borrowed this book from my local library

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this one as I did. You know I'm not a parent so I really can't say but I think a parent should be in the middle - strict but lenient enough that their child feels comfortable talking to them. As for the sexting - wow, it's a pretty big problem. The kids have to know it's wrong and yet should they be prosecuted? I don't think so for the simple fact that they are teenagers and they're being stupid. However something needs to be done as it often leads to worse things like the pics being spread over the Internet which is a sure way to run someone's life. Ok, sorry for that long comment. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the ending of this book was a little contrived, but other than that, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you liked it. It was one of my faves. I did not like Amelia's dad AT ALL. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read good reviews about this book. As a parent these topics are things I have to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen many positive reviews of this one, all along the lines of your feeling of not being able to put it down.
    I am glad that my child is well past this stage. I think it would be too hard to read this if she were still a teenager.

    Hope you have a great New Year's weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it would bring up a lot of good topics that need to be discussed by parents and teens. So much of this kind of thing didn't exist when I was in school (and I don't consider myself that old). I graduated right before the internet infiltrated every household and before cell phones belonged to anyone but serious business folks. I'm not sorry I missed out on this kind of drama in my teen years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won this one last year, and my daughter quickly snatched it up. She LOVED it and told me that I would, too, so thanks for the review that lets me know I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!