Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cleo by Helen Brown







Cleo: The Cat Who Mended a Family
978-0-8065-3303-2
Author: Helen Brown
Pub Date: August 31, 2010
Imprint : Citadel
Format : Trade Paperback


Cleo by Helen Brown



"We're just going to look." Helen Brown had no intention of adopting a pet when she brought her sons, Sam and Rob, to visit a friend's new kittens. But the runt of the litter was irresistible, with her overlarge ears and dainty chin.

When Cleo was delivered weeks later, she had no way of knowing that her new family had just been hit by a tragedy. Helen was sure she couldn't keep her—until she saw something she thought had vanished from the earth forever: her son's smile. The reckless, rambunctious kitten stayed.

Through happiness and heartbreak, changes and new beginnings, Cleo turned out to be the unlikely glue that affectionately held Helen's family together. Rich in wisdom, wit, heart, and healing, here is the story of a cat with an extraordinary gift for knowing just where she was needed most.


My thoughts


It does not surprise me one bit to know that Cleo by Helen Brown has made the New York Times Bestsellers List. This book is a wonderful, moving memoir about a cat who helps heal a family after a horrific tragedy strikes them. We get a glimpse into Helen's life after she loses her son, Sam. The family had arranged to adopt Cleo as a birthday present for Sam. When Cleo is delivered to the family, the last thing they were thinking about was giving a kitten a home. They were grieving after losing Sam. As soon as Helen's son, Rob holds Cleo, he smiles for the first time in a very long time. Cleo was indeed home and on her way to becoming a part of the family. I enjoyed reading about Cleo's crazy cat antics. Cleo certainly made her presence known right from the start. Anyone who is owned by a cat knows how insane life can become with a small kitten running the show. You also know how loving a cat can be especially in our times of need. Cleo was no exception. It was as though she knew she had an important job to do and that was to help her family through a terribly trying time. I loved reading about Cleo's adventures with her family. The story is both touching and amusing. The book is not just about Cleo but about a family moving forward after a tragic time in their lives. By the end of the book I felt as though I knew Helen, Cleo and the whole family and had taken the journey along side them. I have always thought that animals possess a healing quality and Cleo has shown me that to be true. I loved this book and highly recommend it, even if you are not a cat lover! Be sure to have Kleenex close by. This book will have you in tears at times, some happy tears, some sad tears and some from laughing so hard at Cleo's shenanigans. I enjoyed Helen's sense of humor. Pets and laughter can be the best medicine of all! This book will stay with me for a long time to come.

Thank you to Rose Marie Morse from Inkwell Management for sending this ARC for my honest review! I feel very blessed to have read Helen and Cleo's story.

Thank you to Helen Brown for sharing the lives of her family and Cleo with us.

Be sure to check out Helen Brown's website.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one myself! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book to pieces. I am not surprised either that it made the bestseller list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book will be one of my very favorites this year! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!