Sunday, May 16, 2010

Heart of the Matter



Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

Heart of the Matter is told from two very different viewpoints. Tessa, the stay at home mom and wife of pediatric surgeon Nick Russo, and Valerie, a single mom and attorney. On the anniversary of Tessa and Nick a terrible accident occurs involving Valerie's son, Charlie. Nick is called in the treat Charlie not knowing that all of their lives are about to change forever. Valerie finds herself drawn to Nick's kind and gentle way with her son while Tessa finds Nick growing distant from her. All three are caught up in a terrible triangle in which there can be no winners. I appreciated how Emily Griffin didn't make any one character out to be the good guy or the bad guy. I actually found myself liking both women even thought they were both so different. I could see both sides of the issue and wondered what would I do in each character's shoes. I found this book hard to put down as I couldn't for the life of me predict how it would end. It was an excellent read and I highly recommend it. I give it 5 stars.

I won this book from Goodreads First Read Program.

5 comments:

  1. I am excited that her new book sounds to be a good one - I really like her books! My bookclub may select this one for June and I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booksnyc- this would make an excellent book club read! There are so many layers to this book. There would be much to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice list of books. thanks for visiting my MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good review!

    I can never get used to new books having the same titles as old books. I don't know if I could read this book without spending all my time thinking about Graham Greene's classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is definitely going on my wish list. I read 'Love the One You're With' by Emily Griffin and enjoyed it so much. I thot it would be very light reading, but it turned out to be very serious and very very good. Thanks for the great review.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!