Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Oracle of Stamboul



The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

In the summer of 1877, a child is born and many mysterious things happen during her birth. First, a flock of purple-and-white hoopoes which are a type of bird arrive. Then just as mysteriously, a pair of special midwives appears to deliver her. After the child, Eleonora is born her mother dies. Eleonora is raised by her doting father, Yakob and her not so loving step-mother, Ruxandra. As Eleonora grows she is found to be a genius. Yakob must leave on business for Stamboul. This is more than Eleonora can bear so she becomes a stowaway on the ship which is carrying her father. Once she arrives in Stamboul, Eleonora's life takes a big change. She lives in the home of her father's business partner, Moncef Bey. I had many questions and concerns about this man's intentions. Then we add in Eleonora's tutor, Reverend Muehler, who may or may not be a spy. But what or who is he spying on? It seems like everyone wants to keep Eleonora close to them as they know she is special. I adored this little girl and at times felt so sorry for her. At every turn there is more mystery and intrigue. The story is an intricate puzzle that at times moves rather slowly. I did however love the author's prose. It was as magical as the story itself. I was glad that I stuck with the story even when it slowed down. The symbolism in the story beautifully written. Usually I miss connections like that in a book but in this one I was able to savor it. Stamboul made for a very interesting setting, one that I am not all that familiar with. I love going to new places and times when reading a book. This book is beautifully published and I would recommend reading the actual book and not the e-book. The pages have a beautiful feel to them which added to the pleasure of reading this book. It almost had an antique feel to it. This is a wonderful debut book that will leave you thinking about this book and this little girl for quite some time.

I received this book for my honest opinion from the publisher through Amazon's Vine Program.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review...I have definitely been curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Beth. I really would like to read this one someday. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book does sound lovely, but I have to be in the right mood to tackle a book with a slow pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this book sounds really unusual. I want to pick up a copy now just to see what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the descriptiveness and prose is what made this book for me, as the story did drag a bit and I wasn't very satisfied by the ending, but I still ending up liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I have this one on my TBR list and can't wait to read it. I can handle a slow pace if the descriptiveness is there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!