Monday, October 19, 2009

Mailbox Monday



Thanks to Marcia at The Printed Page for hosting Mailbox Mondays. It's been awhile since I have had a book come to my mailbox. Today I struck gold and had 2! What a nice surprise!




Cherries in Winter:
My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times
by Suzan Colon

From the author's website

What is the secret to finding hope in hard times?

When Suzan Colón was laid off from her dream job at a magazine during the economic downturn of 2008, she needed to cut her budget way, way back, and that meant home cooking. Her mother suggested, “Why don’t you look in Nana’s recipe folder?” In the basement, Suzan found the tattered treasure, full of handwritten and meticulously typed recipes, peppered with her grandmother Matilda’s commentary in the margins. Reading it, Suzan realized she had found something more than a collection of recipes—she had found the key to her family’s survival through hard times.

Suzan began re-creating Matilda’s “sturdy food” recipes for baked pork chops and beef stew, and Aunt Nettie’s clam chowder made with clams dug up by Suzan’s grandfather Charlie in Long Island Sound. And she began uncovering the stories of her resilient family’s past. Taking inspiration from stylish, indomitable Matilda, who was the sole support of her family as a teenager during the Great Depression (and who always answered “How are you?” with “Fabulous, never better!”), and from dashing, twice-widowed Charlie, Suzan starts to approach her own crisis with a sense of wonder and gratitude. It turns out that the gift to survive and thrive through hard times had been bred in her bones all along.

I received this compliments of Doubleday Books.




Fallen
by Lauren Kate

Synopsis courtesy of Random House

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

I received this books compliments of Random House Books

What came to your mailbox?

11 comments:

  1. Cherries in winter sounds good. I will be returning to read your review of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Cherries in Winter too - I think it looks really good! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chiming in to add that Cherries in Winter sounds great -- reading and books are two are my favorite activities. Is there a place on the Double Day site to sign up for reviews? I checked the link, but couldn't find anything.

    Happy Reading & Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Cherries in Winter sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherries in Winter sounds great - this is the first I've seen of it.

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man I want to read Fallen! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog, Beth. I like the look of yours. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Zia - I want to read Fallen :)
    Happy reading!
    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherries In Winter was my Friday Find last week! Another kind blogger offered to send it to me, as she didn't think that she would enjoy it. Aren't bloggy friends the best?

    Enjoy your books!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got Fallen, too. I can't wait to get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!