Wednesday, September 21, 2011

WWW Wednesday September 21 and Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon



It's Wednesday and time for WWW Wednesday again. Where does the time go? This year is flying by so fast. In fact, I was shocked to see it is almost time for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. The read-a-thon is scheduled for October 22nd. Sign-up is open so go here and sign up. It is a blast! Save the date! I know I am! I never make the whole 24 hours but I still manage to have fun and get some reading done.



WWW Wednesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

To play along, just answer the following three questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?

What are you currently reading?

Escape by Barbara Delinsky


I am reading this for online book club. I haven't gotten too far yet so I am still undecided on it. It's much too early to tell.


What did you recently finish reading?


One Summer by David Baldacci

I read almost this whole book in one sitting. It was a great beach read, even though I was not on the beach. You can read my review here.


Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel

This was an okay read for me. I have seen a few really great reviews for it though so it may be a book you may like. Here is my review.

What do you think you’ll read next?


Southern Fried Women by Pamela King Cable

Here is the summary:

Every once in a while, an author comes along who's non-traditional, unconventional, and doesn't play by all the "rules." She writes Southern fiction - her way. We've got a live one on the Southern literature scene! She can ruffle the feathers of the most stoic, mess with the beliefs of the strictest fundamentalists, and reel you into the story like a mean catfish meant for the fryer. She has woven together the music, the language, the religions, and the traditions of the South. The result is SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN, a collection of nine short stories of Southern women, and a few men, struggling for answers to unanswered questions, hoping for forgiveness, searching for righteousness, and questioning the existence of God in their lives. No Time For Laura, Vernell Paskins-Mobile Home Queen, Punkin Head, Cry, The Homestead, Old Time Religion, Pigment Of My Imagination, Beach Babies, Coal Dust On My Feet In the spirit of the rural South, Pamela King Cable may well be next on the Southern literature scene of unforgettables. These are the stories in this collection that examine - sometimes seriously and at other times with humor - themes of forgiveness, death, love, discovery, racial conflict, faith, tragedy, innocence, destiny, guilt, and overcoming insurmountable obstacles. Set in various locations and time periods in the South, Southern Fried Women is a compelling collection of stories from Pamela King Cable, a powerful new voice in fiction. Cassandra King, author of Making Waves, The Sunday Wife, The Same Sweet Girls, says . "If you don't find yourself devouring this delicious book of stories, by Pamela King Cable, then you are not a Southern Fried Woman (or Man). After laughing and crying your way through this collection, you will eagerly await new offerings from this talented writer!"

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the read-a-thon. I've never done one of those. Sounds fun! And Southern Fried Women sounds very interesting! I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southern Fried Women sounds like a lot of fun, and I just love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!