Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Holly's Inbox



Holly's Inbox by Holly Denham

Synopsis borrowed from the back of the book:

It's Holly Denham's first day as a receptionist at a busy corporate bank, and frankly, it's obvious she can't quite keep up.

Take a peek at her email and you'll see why: what with her crazy friends, dysfunctional family, and gossipy co-workers, Holly's inbox is a daily source of drama. Laughter, friendship, and romantic interludes keep her going, until one day, Holly's secret past begins to catch up with her...

Written entirely in emails, this compulsively readable UK smash hit will keep you laughing and turning the pages all the way to its surprising and deeply satisfying ending.

My thoughts

I loved this book! It is light and hilarious! It doesn't take long to figure out that Holly is in over her head at her new job as a receptionist at a huge corporate bank. She is like a fish out of water! Reading her emails to her friends and family and fellow employees made me feel like a bit of a spy but it was so fun! Holly's sarcastic sense of humor is very similar to mine. I caught myself laughing hysterically out loud many times. The shocking part of the whole book is finding out that Holly Denham is actually a pen name for Bill Surie. He is not only the author of the book but the owner of a placement service for receptionists and secretaries in London. I wonder if any of these emails are based on true emails that he has come across in his work? Although this format is a bit different than most books, I found it easy to read and follow along. I highly recommend this book! I liked it so much that I am starting to read the sequel immediately! Trust me..you will enjoy Holly! She is an interesting character!

8 comments:

  1. Terrific review! I can tell you really enjoyed this book. I've only heard good things about it. And what a clever premise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, and finished the sequel not that long ago. Enjoy, and I'll look for your thoughts on that one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glas to hear that you really enjoyed the read. I need a good chuckle and will have to put this on TBR list. You're making the list grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one out from the library right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read a lot of chick-lit but this one is going straight on my wishlist. I loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a really fun book! I'm not normally one for those email books but it actually sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a cute story, a little like Bridget Jones and the second book is out now. I'm sure I will read book 2 this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so cute! Great review. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!