Monday, March 29, 2010

Mailbox Monday March 29



Mailbox Monday is a meme where you can post what books came into your home during the week. It is hosted by Marcia over at The Printed Page. Go on over and check it out. Be warned though it can lead to large TBR piles and wish lists!



Synopsis from B&N

Jessica ran from her past...but can she hide from love?

Jessica Morgan wants desperately to forget the past and begin a new life. She chooses a small, peaceful town tucked away in Oregon’s Willamette Valley as the place to start over—Glenbrooke. Once there, Jessica conceals her identity from the intriguing personalities she meets—including the compassionate paramedic who desires to protect her and the jealous woman who wants nothing more than to destroy her.

Will Jessica’s deceit ruin all hope for the future? Or will she find a deeper peace that allows her to stop hiding the truth from those who love her most of all?

This heartwarming bestseller, book one in the Glenbrooke series, introduces the fascinating people of Glenbrooke in a compelling tale of romance and spiritual truth.

I won this copy from Joy at Books and Life. Thank you Joy!




Synopsis from B&N

Introducing a fresh, exciting Chinese-American voice, an inspiring debut about an immigrant girl forced to choose between two worlds and two futures.

When Kimberly Chang and her mother emigrate from Hong Kong to Brooklyn squalor, she quickly begins a secret double life: exceptional schoolgirl during the day, Chinatown sweatshop worker in the evenings. Disguising the more difficult truths of her life-like the staggering degree of her poverty, the weight of her family's future resting on her shoulders, or her secret love for a factory boy who shares none of her talent or ambition-Kimberly learns to constantly translate not just her language but herself back and forth between the worlds she straddles.

Through Kimberly's story, author Jean Kwok, who also emigrated from Hong Kong as a young girl, brings to the page the lives of countless immigrants who are caught between the pressure to succeed in America, their duty to their family, and their own personal desires, exposing a world that we rarely hear about. Written in an indelible voice that dramatizes the tensions of an immigrant girl growing up between two cultures, surrounded by a language and world only half understood, Girl in Translation is an unforgettable and classic novel of an American immigrant-a moving tale of hardship and triumph, heartbreak and love, and all that gets lost in translation.

I received this book for review from Riverhead Books through Shelf Awareness.

What wonderful books made their way into your home?

23 comments:

  1. Girl in Transition sounds like a great read. I look forward to your review on this one. Other than that it looks like you got some great books. Check out my mailbox here.

    http://bookventuresbookclub.blogspot.com/2010/03/mailbox-monday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl in Translation is on my wish list...It sounds so good! Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for soppping by my page. Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those both sound really good. I'm off to add them to my wishlist now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a good week! Happy reading.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books! Secrets sounds really really good!! Enjoy!

    Here is mine:

    http://bookventuresbookclub.blogspot.com/2010/03/mailbox-monday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mailbox Monday is one of the best things about Mondays! Girl in Translation sounds great. Enjoy your new books, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl in Translation looks great! I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl in Translation looks great! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of my students are Chinese, so I love books like Girl in Translation. It gives me a chance to see the point of view from people that may end up in the same situation as my students. Also, there are so few books that really dive into the life of a Chinese American girl, so my girls really enjoy reading about people that are like themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog layout. I just added you to my NetNewsWire. Happy Reading.

    Wisteria...Bookworm's Dinner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Secrets looks interesting. I got Girl in Translation, too. It'll be a couple weeks before I get to it, but I read the prologue and I think it will be a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl in Translation looks fascinating.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These both sound great Beth! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl in Translation is a popular MM book this week. My MM is here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting my MM. It's fun winning books from other bloggers eh? I stopped entering very many because I have enough books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl in Translation looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh lucky, both seem really interesting. I've seen Girl in Translation around before and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the sound of this one. I'm a Chinese and this book I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!